Sunday, January 30, 2011

Education in a Networked World

This week we had the opportunity to listen to Dr. Glen Gatin speak about education in a networked world. Glen spoke various topics such as online collaboration tools, digital pedagogy, new literacies and the use of avatars.

I would like to focus on the idea of avatars or a virtual world. Personally I think the idea of a virtual world is a little weird. But having said that, I also realize that everyone learns differently and there are millions of people out there that are very much into video games and this virtual world. If this is what it takes to get some of my students to learn, then I guess it'something I might have to look into more in the future.

What are your thoughts on the use of avatars?? Do they have a place in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. I also thought that the idea of a virtual world was a little different, and personally would struggle to see the benefit or purpose to using one. However I agree with you that everyone learns differently and so therefore we should maybe give it a chance as it may appeal to a large population of students that are hard to reach with other teaching methods. At this time I cannot for see myself using avatars or a virtual world as a learning tool in my classroom.

    I would prefer to be able to use social networking sites as learning tools, before experimenting with the use of a virtual world as a learning tool. I would like to see some research done on the effectiveness of using a virtual world as a learning tool, before ever attempting to use it in class. I would also need to learn ALOT more about virtual worlds first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I also find the idea of a virtual world a little weird, but if people like they like it. I also agree that different people learn differently and that some students especially with social problem may benefit greatly from a virtual school. However that said I still believe that it is important for students to attend real world classrooms so that they can develop real one on one social skills that will help them in the real world job market.

    ReplyDelete